THIS IS A ANALOGY FROM SOMEONE ON ANOTHER FORUM ON WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN IN SEASON 6

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: THIS IS A ANALOGY FROM SOMEONE ON ANOTHER FORUM ON WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN IN SEASON 6

Post by katharine on Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:55 am

mommahurley wrote:Ok ... not to burst eveyrone's bubble here...but I think the basic premise of what this post assumes the quote refers to is off target.

I think that when Brennan says" the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result" She is referring to her history with trying to make connections and find love.

Her parents left her, her brother left her, her forster parents abused her, kids at school abused her and made fun of her, her professor competed with her, and undermined her success, her other boyfriends were failed in some way, but when she found love with Sully, he left her, or she couldn't commit so she sent him away without her...She has kept doing the same thing over and over...She conculedes it's insanity to try again, because she can't make it work..she doesn't have an open heart...she can't be loved...she can't make it work.

Now before you all fall apart;;; Here's the good news...

Brennan is a scientist...and by concluding with Booth that because she has tried over and over and had the same results...it would be insanity to try again....she has missed one of the most fundimental rules of scientific method.... Change one variable...and your results can and will almost always be vastly different! That one variable? She hasn't tried to make it work with Booth!

And that may just be what she has to come to realize this season. And that I believe is the reason for that quote.

[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

I like your way of thinking. Hope that's what happens.

katharine
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 423
Location : I live in the South, but my heart is up North
Registration date : 2010-04-09

Back to top Go down

Re: THIS IS A ANALOGY FROM SOMEONE ON ANOTHER FORUM ON WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN IN SEASON 6

Post by jro54 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:56 am

mommahurley wrote:Ok ... not to burst eveyrone's bubble here...but I think the basic premise of what this post assumes the quote refers to is off target.

I think that when Brennan says" the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result" She is referring to her history with trying to make connections and find love.

Her parents left her, her brother left her, her forster parents abused her, kids at school abused her and made fun of her, her professor competed with her, and undermined her success, her other boyfriends were failed in some way, but when she found love with Sully, he left her, or she couldn't commit so she sent him away without her...She has kept doing the same thing over and over...She conculedes it's insanity to try again, because she can't make it work..she doesn't have an open heart...she can't be loved...she can't make it work.

Now before you all fall apart;;; Here's the good news...

Brennan is a scientist...and by concluding with Booth that because she has tried over and over and had the same results...it would be insanity to try again....she has missed one of the most fundimental rules of scientific method.... Change one variable...and your results can and will almost always be vastly different! That one variable? She hasn't tried to make it work with Booth!

And that may just be what she has to come to realize this season. And that I believe is the reason for that quote.

[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

Actually, it was Cam who said that in the 100th...but I like your scenario.
avatar
jro54
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1740
Age : 27
Location : Flagstaff, Arizona
Say What You Want : No matter what happens and the twists and turns that this show takes, I will always be a Bones fan!!!! Bring it on Hart!!!!boxing
Registration date : 2010-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: THIS IS A ANALOGY FROM SOMEONE ON ANOTHER FORUM ON WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN IN SEASON 6

Post by joybrennan on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:22 am

mommahurley wrote:Ok ... not to burst eveyrone's bubble here...but I think the basic premise of what this post assumes the quote refers to is off target.

I think that when Brennan says" the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result" She is referring to her history with trying to make connections and find love.

Her parents left her, her brother left her, her forster parents abused her, kids at school abused her and made fun of her, her professor competed with her, and undermined her success, her other boyfriends were failed in some way, but when she found love with Sully, he left her, or she couldn't commit so she sent him away without her...She has kept doing the same thing over and over...She conculedes it's insanity to try again, because she can't make it work..she doesn't have an open heart...she can't be loved...she can't make it work.

Now before you all fall apart;;; Here's the good news...

Brennan is a scientist...and by concluding with Booth that because she has tried over and over and had the same results...it would be insanity to try again....she has missed one of the most fundimental rules of scientific method.... Change one variable...and your results can and will almost always be vastly different! That one variable? She hasn't tried to make it work with Booth!


And that may just be what she has to come to realize this season. And thatI believe is the reason for that quote.

[Only admins are allowed to see this image]
@ mommahurly - In the story's context that IS the reason for the quote. Love your story analysis as to why she says that line. (I'm assuming when you say she found love with Sully you mean because he was in love with her, not vice-versa) However, neither the original author nor myself were doing a story analysis - they are both writing analyses. That is about WHY the writer may have wanted certain things said and what is the underlying structure being uI Ssed.

I SO agree with your point about Brennan being a scientist and not being very scientific in her answers is one of the things I hated about the hundredth. Mad. However, it does fit into the structural pattern I suggested. There IS something she needs do differently storywise in order to complete the structure - and it IS her relationship with Booth!
We are, I think, actually in agreement - Shocked Laughing - just we are looking at it from different places. Smile
avatar
joybrennan
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1532
Age : 42
Location : NYC
Say What You Want : I like to see the roller-coaster before I get on it. I mean, how many loops are we talking here?
Registration date : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: THIS IS A ANALOGY FROM SOMEONE ON ANOTHER FORUM ON WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN IN SEASON 6

Post by mommahurley on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:42 am

jro54 wrote:
mommahurley wrote:Ok ... not to burst eveyrone's bubble here...but I think the basic premise of what this post assumes the quote refers to is off target.

I think that when Brennan says" the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result" She is referring to her history with trying to make connections and find love.

Her parents left her, her brother left her, her forster parents abused her, kids at school abused her and made fun of her, her professor competed with her, and undermined her success, her other boyfriends were failed in some way, but when she found love with Sully, he left her, or she couldn't commit so she sent him away without her...She has kept doing the same thing over and over...She conculedes it's insanity to try again, because she can't make it work..she doesn't have an open heart...she can't be loved...she can't make it work.

Now before you all fall apart;;; Here's the good news...



.

Brennan is a scientist...and by concluding with Booth that because she has tried over and over and had the same results...it would be insanity to try again....she has missed one of the most fundimental rules of scientific method.... Change one variable...and your results can and will almost always be vastly different! That one variable? She hasn't tried to make it work with Booth!

And that may just be what she has to come to realize this season. And that I believe is the reason for that quote.

[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

Actually, it was Cam who said that in the 100th...but I like your scenario.


Yes .. Cam said it to Booth in reference to his always going it alone... never working with a partner...

Then Brennan said it to Booth when he said "let's give this thing a try" ...

Both things..involve changing your normal way of doing things...altering one viariable in order to get a different outcome.

Booth tried it and found Bones...and his life changed completely..he found her...he found a person who understood him, who supported him, who knows shes completely different and sees the world differently but still respects his right to see it his way, who brought out the best in him..and who makes his job enjoyable, and successful...he moved up the ranks quickly after Bones....and he wanted to become a better man...gave up gambling...developed a better workable relationship with Rebecca instead of the animosity that they shared before...

Now it's Brennan's turn to realize that the thing that she's been doing over an over again, is choosing to be closed, choosing to compartmentalize that part of her that needs to open up in order to be happy, choosing the keep distance between herself and others, She hasn't changed that variable...chosen Booth...someone who does believe in everything she doesn't believe in...someone who's the yin to her yang...someone who loves her exactly the way she is! Someone who she could lose if she doesn't wise up

I'm hoping this is the things that she comes to realize this season. Whether they get together or not...I'd like to see her realize this! And at least try! I think she has begun to realize it in relation to friends and family...but she hasn't put 2 and 2 together yet to realize that it pertains to Booth as well. Love only grows in fertile soil!

mommahurley
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 311
Registration date : 2009-12-03

Back to top Go down

Re: THIS IS A ANALOGY FROM SOMEONE ON ANOTHER FORUM ON WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN IN SEASON 6

Post by jro54 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:52 am

mommahurley wrote:
jro54 wrote:
mommahurley wrote:Ok ... not to burst eveyrone's bubble here...but I think the basic premise of what this post assumes the quote refers to is off target.

I think that when Brennan says" the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result" She is referring to her history with trying to make connections and find love.

Her parents left her, her brother left her, her forster parents abused her, kids at school abused her and made fun of her, her professor competed with her, and undermined her success, her other boyfriends were failed in some way, but when she found love with Sully, he left her, or she couldn't commit so she sent him away without her...She has kept doing the same thing over and over...She conculedes it's insanity to try again, because she can't make it work..she doesn't have an open heart...she can't be loved...she can't make it work.

Now before you all fall apart;;; Here's the good news...



.

Brennan is a scientist...and by concluding with Booth that because she has tried over and over and had the same results...it would be insanity to try again....she has missed one of the most fundimental rules of scientific method.... Change one variable...and your results can and will almost always be vastly different! That one variable? She hasn't tried to make it work with Booth!

And that may just be what she has to come to realize this season. And that I believe is the reason for that quote.

[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

Actually, it was Cam who said that in the 100th...but I like your scenario.


Yes .. Cam said it to Booth in reference to his always going it alone... never working with a partner...

Then Brennan said it to Booth when he said "let's give this thing a try" ...

Both things..involve changing your normal way of doing things...altering one viariable in order to get a different outcome.

Booth tried it and found Bones...and his life changed completely..he found her...he found a person who understood him, who supported him, who knows shes completely different and sees the world differently but still respects his right to see it his way, who brought out the best in him..and who makes his job enjoyable, and successful...he moved up the ranks quickly after Bones....and he wanted to become a better man...gave up gambling...developed a better workable relationship with Rebecca instead of the animosity that they shared before...

Now it's Brennan's turn to realize that the thing that she's been doing over an over again, is choosing to be closed, choosing to compartmentalize that part of her that needs to open up in order to be happy, choosing the keep distance between herself and others, She hasn't changed that variable...chosen Booth...someone who does believe in everything she doesn't believe in...someone who's the yin to her yang...someone who loves her exactly the way she is! Someone who she could lose if she doesn't wise up

I'm hoping this is the things that she comes to realize this season. Whether they get together or not...I'd like to see her realize this! And at least try! I think she has begun to realize it in relation to friends and family...but she hasn't put 2 and 2 together yet to realize that it pertains to Booth as well. Love only grows in fertile soil!

Did Brennan say that? I don't remember...because I LOVED the 100th episode, except for the last 2 seconds, so whenever I watch it again, I just stop it right before the scene outside of the Hoover...but agree with your analysis. Very Happy
avatar
jro54
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1740
Age : 27
Location : Flagstaff, Arizona
Say What You Want : No matter what happens and the twists and turns that this show takes, I will always be a Bones fan!!!! Bring it on Hart!!!!boxing
Registration date : 2010-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: THIS IS A ANALOGY FROM SOMEONE ON ANOTHER FORUM ON WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN IN SEASON 6

Post by mommahurley on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:13 am

Yes... she did. And he said... "well then let's try for a different outcome" which would be a non scientist way of saying it... I kept thinking... If he had known science better he should have said "Then let's change a variable" "factor me into the equation" she would have been able to relate to that!!! But they didn't...they both were thinking in their own ways...and they didn't connect. Booth backed down because he realized pushing her would ruin any chance of a relationship with her. And she immediately as soon as he backed down, grabbed onto him in the way that she is comfortable.. "we can still work together can't we?" He layed it out there and it made her run...he's still enough of a recovered gambler that he knows when to hold em'''and when to fold em! I don't think Booth has completely moved on...I just think he's wearing his Poker Face! Waiting for life to deal him a better hand before he goes "all In" again.

mommahurley
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 311
Registration date : 2009-12-03

Back to top Go down

Re: THIS IS A ANALOGY FROM SOMEONE ON ANOTHER FORUM ON WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN IN SEASON 6

Post by joybrennan on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:53 am

mommahurley wrote:
jro54 wrote:
mommahurley wrote:Ok ... not to burst eveyrone's bubble here...but I think the basic premise of what this post assumes the quote refers to is off target.

I think that when Brennan says" the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result" She is referring to her history with trying to make connections and find love.

Her parents left her, her brother left her, her foster parents abused her, kids at school abused her and made fun of her, her professor competed with her, and undermined her success, her other boyfriends were failed in some way, but when she found love with Sully, he left her, or she couldn't commit so she sent him away without her...She has kept doing the same thing over and over...She conculedes it's insanity to try again, because she can't make it work..she doesn't have an open heart...she can't be loved...she can't make it work.

Now before you all fall apart;;; Here's the good news...



.

Brennan is a scientist...and by concluding with Booth that because she has tried over and over and had the same results...it would be insanity to try again....she has missed one of the most fundimental rules of scientific method.... Change one variable...and your results can and will almost always be vastly different! That one variable? She hasn't tried to make it work with Booth!

And that may just be what she has to come to realize this season. And that I believe is the reason for that quote.

[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

Actually, it was Cam who said that in the 100th...but I like your scenario.


Yes .. [i]Cam said it to Booth in reference to his always going it alone... never working with a partner...

Then Brennan said it to Booth when he said "let's give this thing a try" ...

Both things..involve changing your normal way of doing things...altering one variable in order to get a different outcome.

This is, IMO, where things get tangled and where I disagree with the analysis. Booth was known for doing things alone - AT WORK - not in his personal life. And he does do something different. He chooses to work with Brennan - AND, when she runs, he eventually pursues her, because he doesn't want ANY work partner, he found Brennan.

However, that's not his personal life. In his personal life, Booth doesn't want to be alone, and never has wanted that. His coma dream was about bringing his professional and personal life together - being married to, and working with Brennan. All the the things you've stated about what Booth found with Bones is absolutely right - but they both have the boundary that the relationship is about work.


Booth tried it and found Bones...and his life changed completely..he found her...he found a person who understood him, who supported him, who knows shes completely different and sees the world differently but still respects his right to see it his way, who brought out the best in him..and who makes his job enjoyable, and successful...he moved up the ranks quickly after Bones....and he wanted to become a better man...gave up gambling...developed a better workable relationship with Rebecca instead of the animosity that they shared before...

Booth's approach to his love life is searching - gambling that he'll one day find the right girl. His heart's on his sleeve a lot, that's one of his enduring traits. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't. He said things had been going great with Tessa. Tessa balked - end of relationship.

Booth has to CHOOSE who he wants - not gamble on it. THAT is the thing he's doing over and over again and it's exactly what he did with Brennan.

Brennan is a MESS, all the things you've stated below:


Now it's Brennan's turn to realize that the thing that she's been doing over an over again, is choosing to be closed, choosing to compartmentalize that part of her that needs to open up in order to be happy, choosing the keep distance between herself and others, She hasn't changed that variable...chosen Booth...someone who does believe in everything she doesn't believe in...someone who's the yin to her yang...someone who loves her exactly the way she is! Someone who she could lose if she doesn't wise up

However, I believe she's HAS CHOSEN Booth - which is why she even agreed to work with him. Brennan took a risk, a gamble, on Booth as her working partner - even though the first time blew up because of the sexual tension stuff. As such she HAS opened up in her profession life - she doesn't keep that distance between herself and her colleagues, and her colleagues have become friends. She needs to do this with Booth. She needs, to take the risk, try the experiment - as you said - CHANGE THE VARIABLE - and try having a personal, romantic involvement with Booth.

They BOTH have done things differently in their professional lives - now they they need to do it in their PERSONAL LIVES. Booth made a choice, Brennan took a risk. What's the quote that was on the wall: Nothing Happens unless first in a dream. They literally had the same dream - to be partners professionally and personally. In order to achieve it, they BOTH need to become willing to do what they did differently in their professional lives, in their personal lives.


I'm hoping this is the things that she comes to realize this season. Whether they get together or not...I'd like to see her realize this! And at least try! I think she has begun to realize it in relation to friends and family...but she hasn't put 2 and 2 together yet to realize that it pertains to Booth as well. Love only grows in fertile soil!

I would like them BOTH to have realizations. For Brennan I pretty much wish the same thing as the poster. For Booth, I hope he gets he has to CHOOSE what wants - not roll the dice and hope for the best. Doing so, in the long run, won't make him happy. I think that's the point of Raghag - as HH said, "She's not Brennan."


Last edited by joybrennan on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:59 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : a mis-quote)
avatar
joybrennan
Head of Forensics
Head of Forensics

Number of posts : 1532
Age : 42
Location : NYC
Say What You Want : I like to see the roller-coaster before I get on it. I mean, how many loops are we talking here?
Registration date : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: THIS IS A ANALOGY FROM SOMEONE ON ANOTHER FORUM ON WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN IN SEASON 6

Post by RubyRuby on Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:24 am

joybrennan wrote:
mommahurley wrote:
jro54 wrote:
mommahurley wrote:Ok ... not to burst eveyrone's bubble here...but I think the basic premise of what this post assumes the quote refers to is off target.

I think that when Brennan says" the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result" She is referring to her history with trying to make connections and find love.

Her parents left her, her brother left her, her foster parents abused her, kids at school abused her and made fun of her, her professor competed with her, and undermined her success, her other boyfriends were failed in some way, but when she found love with Sully, he left her, or she couldn't commit so she sent him away without her...She has kept doing the same thing over and over...She conculedes it's insanity to try again, because she can't make it work..she doesn't have an open heart...she can't be loved...she can't make it work.

Now before you all fall apart;;; Here's the good news...



.

Brennan is a scientist...and by concluding with Booth that because she has tried over and over and had the same results...it would be insanity to try again....she has missed one of the most fundimental rules of scientific method.... Change one variable...and your results can and will almost always be vastly different! That one variable? She hasn't tried to make it work with Booth!

And that may just be what she has to come to realize this season. And that I believe is the reason for that quote.

[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

Actually, it was Cam who said that in the 100th...but I like your scenario.


Yes .. [i]Cam said it to Booth in reference to his always going it alone... never working with a partner...

Then Brennan said it to Booth when he said "let's give this thing a try" ...

Both things..involve changing your normal way of doing things...altering one variable in order to get a different outcome.

This is, IMO, where things get tangled and where I disagree with the analysis. Booth was known for doing things alone - AT WORK - not in his personal life. And he does do something different. He chooses to work with Brennan - AND, when she runs, he eventually pursues her, because he doesn't want ANY work partner, he found Brennan.

However, that's not his personal life. In his personal life, Booth doesn't want to be alone, and never has wanted that. His coma dream was about bringing his professional and personal life together - being married to, and working with Brennan. All the the things you've stated about what Booth found with Bones is absolutely right - but they both have the boundary that the relationship is about work.


Booth tried it and found Bones...and his life changed completely..he found her...he found a person who understood him, who supported him, who knows shes completely different and sees the world differently but still respects his right to see it his way, who brought out the best in him..and who makes his job enjoyable, and successful...he moved up the ranks quickly after Bones....and he wanted to become a better man...gave up gambling...developed a better workable relationship with Rebecca instead of the animosity that they shared before...

Booth's approach to his love life is searching - gambling that he'll one day find the right girl. His heart's on his sleeve a lot, that's one of his enduring traits. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't. He said things had been going great with Tessa. Tessa balked - end of relationship.

Booth has to CHOOSE who he wants - not gamble on it. THAT is the thing he's doing over and over again and it's exactly what he did with Brennan.

Brennan is a MESS, all the things you've stated below:


Now it's Brennan's turn to realize that the thing that she's been doing over an over again, is choosing to be closed, choosing to compartmentalize that part of her that needs to open up in order to be happy, choosing the keep distance between herself and others, She hasn't changed that variable...chosen Booth...someone who does believe in everything she doesn't believe in...someone who's the yin to her yang...someone who loves her exactly the way she is! Someone who she could lose if she doesn't wise up

However, I believe she's HAS CHOSEN Booth - which is why she even agreed to work with him. Brennan took a risk, a gamble, on Booth as her working partner - even though the first time blew up because of the sexual tension stuff. As such she HAS opened up in her profession life - she doesn't keep that distance between herself and her colleagues, and her colleagues have become friends. She needs to do this with Booth. She needs, to take the risk, try the experiment - as you said - CHANGE THE VARIABLE - and try having a personal, romantic involvement with Booth.

They BOTH have done things differently in their professional lives - now they they need to do it in their PERSONAL LIVES. Booth made a choice, Brennan took a risk. What's the quote that was on the wall: Nothing Happens unless first in a dream. They literally had the same dream - to be partners professionally and personally. In order to achieve it, they BOTH need to become willing to do what they did differently in their professional lives, in their personal lives.


I'm hoping this is the things that she comes to realize this season. Whether they get together or not...I'd like to see her realize this! And at least try! I think she has begun to realize it in relation to friends and family...but she hasn't put 2 and 2 together yet to realize that it pertains to Booth as well. Love only grows in fertile soil!

I would like them BOTH to have realizations. For Brennan I pretty much wish the same thing as the poster. For Booth, I hope he gets he has to CHOOSE what wants - not roll the dice and hope for the best. Doing so, in the long run, won't make him happy. I think that's the point of Raghag - as HH said, "She's not Brennan."

Beautifully said. cheers
avatar
RubyRuby
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 451
Age : 31
Location : Sydney
Say What You Want : Credit goes to bones/tumblr for the beautiful banner. I do NOT support the SO storyline. Its an insult to wonderful characters and the talented actors who portray them.
Registration date : 2010-07-29

Back to top Go down

Re: THIS IS A ANALOGY FROM SOMEONE ON ANOTHER FORUM ON WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN IN SEASON 6

Post by mommahurley on Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:22 pm

It seems we are all in complete agreement!!! Yay!!!! [Only admins are allowed to see this image]

mommahurley
Agent
Agent

Number of posts : 311
Registration date : 2009-12-03

Back to top Go down

Re: THIS IS A ANALOGY FROM SOMEONE ON ANOTHER FORUM ON WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN IN SEASON 6

Post by thatgirl61 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:56 pm

Thank u

thatgirl61
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2010-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: THIS IS A ANALOGY FROM SOMEONE ON ANOTHER FORUM ON WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN IN SEASON 6

Post by thatgirl61 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:02 pm

Im sorry I didn't have the time to read this post properly till now and all I have to say is that was MONEY WELL SPENT!!!!! THIS FORUM ROCKS!!!!!!!!

thatgirl61
Forensic Artist
Forensic Artist

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2010-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: THIS IS A ANALOGY FROM SOMEONE ON ANOTHER FORUM ON WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN IN SEASON 6

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum